Wednesday, December 3, 2014

designer babies

There are multiple different views on designer babies and human enhancement. I will first start off about human enhancement. I believe that human enhancement is not morally permissible. I think even currently our society places too much emphasis on “perfect traits”. There are no such things as perfect traits. Allowing for human enhancement would other further progress this mindset and create more divisions within our society for things like race, height, weight, etc. We as a society do not have the right to decide what are “perfect traits”. Also, as a progressing society, what people view as perfect is continuously changing. Therefore, it would be nearly impossible to find universal perfect traits that last more than the typical trend.


In regards to transgenesis, I think future generations could present the benefits of it. However, I think right now there are currently so many “kinks” to get out that could be dangerous to a human life. I have a problem with research because I hate the idea of testing on humans for anything, let alone a new life. For example, when babies are created for the sake of saving a child’s life; if something goes wrong during a trial, that could potential put the sick child’s life in even more danger. I am still formulating an opinion about whether it is morally permissible or not to create a life for the sake of saving another.  Overall, I think there could be multiple benefits in the future for designer babies for the sake of health issues, but I never think it is permissible for the sake of appearance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.