Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Owing Caring Parents

Surprisingly, I find myself thinking about this topic quite often so I was very interested in the readings. As I was reading I found myself torn between the two papers. I really like English's piece and how she says the favors and helping our parents should be based off of our relationship with them, especially when she says that children are not asked to be born. We aren't asked to be born so how can we really owe our parents anything? I feel this is one of her strongest parts of her argument. However, I read Chenyang's piece second and I felt swayed by his piece. His most convincing paragraph was the last paragraph on page 344 and I want to take time and talk about it and add on to it and attempt to strengthen it. Chenyang talks about how most people in general are appreciative of the life they have; in a way life itself is a gift in this way that our parents  have given to us. Some may argue this by saying we did not ask to be born, it was the parents' choice so we still do not owe them anything. However, our parents do so much for that beyond our birth, they sacrifice a lot and with that I believe that we owe them a little bit. I can concede that if a parent abandons their child or does not other sacrifice beyond giving them life that the child does not owe them much. But if your parents sacrifice a lot for you, even if your relationship is not the greatest, you owe them something. I have to argue that if you feel your relationship with your parents is lacking but they still provide for you and care for you then you're relationship with them must not  be that severely lacking. Someone does not sacrifice and provide for someone all of their life if they do not care for them at all, so I would have to argue your parents do care for and love you so your relationship is much better than perceived. If you cannot perform caring acts for someone who loves you and has sacrificed for you then you are being immoral.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.