Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Torture.

              Based on the readings about torture, I noticed that most of the articles didn’t really focus at all on the person who will be doing the torturing if the act was permissible. I think this is a very important factor to consider because it’s not an easy thing to do and it could affect that person for the rest of their lives. By torturing someone you might be “saving an innocent life,” but this notion is a little counterproductive because that person doing the torturing has a possibility of being internally damaged. The person who is inflicting the torture on the perpetrator might have the “right reasons” to torture that person but it doesn’t mean that it will feel good. Different people would probably react differently to certain situations but your feelings can vary. Maybe you’ll feel guilt or maybe you will be traumzatized. Everyone’s last moments of life is when they are most vulnerable. It would be so horrible to watch someone pleading for mercy and acting so vulnerable when you know you put them in that situation. It can psychologically damage someone and something like that can’t be easily erased.

                I really liked the article called “A Case for Torture” because it was an interesting read and it also gave counter arguments and then refuted them.  I agreed with the counter arguments but I wasn’t fully convinced on the author’s rebuttal to them. For example, the second argument stated that “torture will dehumanize society.” Their rebuttal to this argument was comparing torture to self-defense but I think that this is a fallacy of false analogy. I don’t think you really relate the two together because it’s two totally separate acts that don’t correlate in my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.