Individuals have rights, I think. I think some of these rights are subordinate to others, and I think these rights have weights depending on the conditions of a situation. There are cases where one right normally subordinate to a another may supersede that second right. And I believe that in the case of a patient facing a substantially diminished quality of life or a substantially shortened term of life, an individual's right to choose can take precedence over their right to life. In such circumstances, an individual is morally allowed to make the decision to preemptively end their own life, and a doctor or physician is morally obligated to respect this decision and potentially also morally obligated to provide a means of and assist with this decision.
I recognize that my views are more commonly found in the West than elsewhere, and are far from the majority when thinking globally. What I found most interesting about the Sachedina piece was the distinction drawn between forgoing potentially life-saving treatment (morally acceptable) and causing the death of a patient in a quick, relatively painless way (morally unacceptable) in a situation where the patient in question was suffering a debilitating condition that significantly deteriorated the patient's quality of life. The distinction is viewed in Islamic cultures as presented in the article as one of the doctor's intentions: the doctor seeks to end a life in the first case, while merely allowing the disease to take its course in the second. The Islamic view also notably takes into account not only the physician and the patient, but the views of immediate family members, who it views as also party to the decision to end or shorten the life of the patient. This isn't something I had considered in formulating my view, and I certainly do see the logic. Why shouldn't the patient's family members be party to the decision when its outcome will greatly affect them? Still, I do not think I will be changing my view. What happens to an individual and their body should ultimately be the decision of that individual in my view, even if the results of that decision affect others. This view (my view) takes the rights of the individual over the concerns of others, and the Islamic view articulated in Sachedina's piece does the opposite. I see and respect the points made by the other side, we merely disagree about some fundamental premises.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.