Monday, November 3, 2014

Why Drop the Bomb?


          The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was an event that took place out of total disregard for the human life. After reading the articles I found that I agree to the point made by Mr. Takahashi to the New York Times. He stated that “the Allies could have pressured Japan to end the war by demonstrating the power of the atomic bomb, by dropping the bomb not on a city but somewhere else”.  I agree to this statement on the grounds that using a threat as a scare tactic would have saved so many lives, but I fear the reason it was used was intended to be for harm not for a scare tactic. This is because it was dropped twice and huge scale killings such as these are often not done accidentally. It was planned to drop the two bombs and so it was intended to kill innocent people. The Allied Forces’ dropping of the bombs on the two cities was also seen as intentional because right after the Hiroshima bombing there was no time in between allotted by Allied Forces to listen for Japan’s surrender. This was seen in the Japanese perspective article where soon after they were both dropped there was surrender from Japan.  What would have been the harm of waiting a little longer after the first bomb dropped for surrender?  If you are bombing a group of people repetitively without allowing time for the too react to the first bombing then you are not only looking to harm people but to intimidate people and abuse your power. It is when I look at this situation from this point of view that I agree that the bombing on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was morally impermissible because it did not look to harm only soldiers, but innocents as well. That type of an attack is what makes both bombings so terrible. It is because innocents were harmed that this is so controversial. The testimonials that are from the innocent survivors like mothers and daughters are only sad because they did not ask to be attacked like a soldier of war and nor should they had been.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.