Sunday, November 16, 2014

The selling of organs. Why it is seemingly wrong or possibly an issue of the donor

The selling of organs is a very uncertain area to discuss and it is because of these situations that can occur. I for one do not support it in the light it is being displayed upon. If from what I read is generally true, at least in the Iranian Model, then people who do decide to sell their organs through "coercive" (drawn in by a reward based off of their current socioeconomic status) tactics do not think the situation through enough and hurt themselves "unknowingly". They are fully aware of what is happening, I am not denying they don't, but I feel they do not realize the impact to their lives afterwards.

Though they willingly decide to give their kidney up for a reward for their donation, it has been stated that these people do not benefit from these rewards immediately (in the sense of life-changing) or support them with something of comparable value (compensation). This entire system is for benefit of the receiver, and to save his/her life through this method is analogous to trickery. To price an organ donation is one thing, but to draw people of a low socioeconomic status (unintentional or not) in as a donor through rewards is another. If somehow the compensation was legitimized through a study of improvement on one's lifestyle based on an increased reward given, then I would have less of an issue, but that is not entirely the case. So the selling of organs in this sense is something I find to be unethical due because the luring of these people which seems to me similar to a cocaine addict's willingness to do whatever it takes to get cocaine.

However, I won't argue if it is their fault they do not use their reward for their long term benefit which should be possible to do if they make an attempt. Now, if the donor did this willingly, but on an impulse for money to appease their pleasures, then they in an Aristotelian sense are not a functioning member of society This is because of how insensible they are about the events that just transpired which made them drain 1,200 dollars and lost a kidney which could possibly be rejected by its new host which would make their selfish and at the same time selfless donation all for naught. If they didnt foresee this possibility then it is their fault for not predicting such an outcome.

I find it brave and commendable to anyone who is willing to donate or sell (if you must) an organ with the intent to save another human being, but if their objective is to receive the compensation and not so help the person in danger, then they are doing this for the wrong reason. I believe one should donate (or even sell) an organ in order to save another's life as their main reason and to receive compensation afterwards as a bonus (if you truly require there to be one) and not to be drawn in because of the reward which is greedy and insensible and to possibly misuse this reward and like I said to be much less off than you once were. Now, this makes little to no sense because one would be greedy regardless if they receive the last of the motivation they needed because of the reward. Well, in some instances the motivation they need is compensation for their donation. People are completely selfless and would donate w/o a reward, however some others feel the want and the need to donate and cannot pull the trigger because they don't feel like it is within their benefit. These people aren't entirely selfless, but it is understandable to want a reward for the donation of an organ. As long as the main intent is to help save another's life, then if the motivation to get them to do this is compensation for their sacrifice I don't think that should be poorly looked upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.