It is said that sex slavery can be permissible if it is
for the “greater good” – if it was to
support a family financially. The main objection that this point receives is
that a lot of the time prostitution is not voluntary, and the prostituted women
are then subject so various diseases. An objection to that objection is that
some women are fine with it, and that they technically have rights because they
are allowed to turn down customers if they so please, and can even earn a lot
of money.
I think that in either
case, sex slavery is still morally impermissible, because I don’t think that at
any point is it truly voluntary. In the readings, specifically the ones
involving Srey Neth and Srey Mom, one shows her hatred for what she was reduced
to doing, while the other feigns resentment, but ultimately returns to it. While
it looks like some women may actually be okay with prostitution, I think that
Srey Mom is extremely disillusioned. By the time that the journalist had found
her, she was practically a veteran. The article even says that she had very
little education coming into this kind of profession.
Even though she returned
to the brothel on her own accord, I think it was largely because after spending
4 years as a prostitute, it became the only thing that she knew, and perhaps
there was a certain attachment, because of the amount of time she had invested
in it. And realistically speaking, it is actually a lot easier to stay in the
brothel (because she was already used to it) than to go out and fend for
yourself, from scratch. She is familiar with how the brothel works; she has
fewer things to worry about because everything has already been thought of for
her. This girl probably has abysmal knowledge of what the outside has to offer,
and was probably fearful of how hard she would have to work, especially when
she knows nothing of this environment she was put in. I think this especially
shows when she is reluctant to go back to her parents. There are a lot of
things she has to face as soon as she leaves the brothel. I don’t think any
human being, even one who has it easier in life, can ever handle that much
emotional turmoil in such a short span of time.
This is different from
Srey Neth because she was only there for a shorter time, and could still find
it in herself to carry out and get herself out of there. She was not there long
enough to get used it. Not everyone has this kind of mental toughness. I think
it takes a lot to get out of whatever situation you are in.
This may be a stupid
example, but I think this is also why Sea World cannot put Tilikum (the Orca or
Killer Whale) back into the ocean because he cannot fend for himself anymore.
Because of the Sea World environment, and the lack of pressure in the water
that Tilikum swims it, he has a flopped dorsal fin. If I’m not mistaken, the
fin should be upright because of the water pressure from the ocean that is
evidently absent in a giant aquarium. While it is obviously the right thing to
do to put tilikum back in the ocean where he belongs, they can’t really do that
because he would not be able to survive, or even if he could, it would involve
an enormous amount of effort – effort that he might not have.
Similarly, Srey Mom,
having everything taken away from her, probably does not have it in her to try.
Already as it is, she has zero self-esteem. It seems wrong to use her decisions
as a gauge of whether or not prostitution can ever voluntary because she is not
really in a position to say that she is, even if she is still okay with it. I
feel like if you’re exposed to something for so long, and it doesn’t seem to be
damaging, it doesn’t mean that is isn’t. If you’re hit on the head constantly
every single day, after a while you stop feeling the pain from the blows, but
your brain is still getting the damage, only you can’t tell. Srey Mom is able
to adapt to her life as a prostitute out of survival – she didn’t really have a
choice but to get used to it.
This leads me to the
idea of consent. While consent is being agreeable to certain terms and informed
consent is knowing exactly what you’re getting yourself into, I don’t know if consent
really counts as any kind of consent if there is a better alternative
especially if you do not know about this alternative. In the case of a lot of
prostitutes whose social group probably consists of other prostitutes and
whoever who hires them, I think it is easier for them to be consenting because
the alternatives aren’t clear. Not that they know that they don’t have to go
into this kind of work, but more so that a lot of people around the world have
not gone through this kind of work, and probably never have to ever. And when
it something that you see a lot of your peers doing, it makes you believe that
that you only have two choices (to go into or not), not realizing that it
shouldn’t ever be a choice you have to make.
*edit* I also think that even for the prostitutes who do get to turn down customers if they see fit it still doesn't show the same kind of consent that there is with something like casual sex. With casual sex, sex only happens when the person who is engaging in casual sex wants it, and when they find a partner their either find attractive or are willing to do it with. Whereas for prostitution, it's a profession. The person doesn't have a choice, because they are depending on it to support themselves. Being able to turn down certain customers may sound like a privilege, but in reality, I'm sure that prostitutes have a very high tolerance, and don't exactly look forward to engaging in physical activity with every single customer, but do it anyway because it's their job. I don't know too much about the sex industry, but I feel like there is a quota that have to fulfill daily in order to make a living.
*edit* I also think that even for the prostitutes who do get to turn down customers if they see fit it still doesn't show the same kind of consent that there is with something like casual sex. With casual sex, sex only happens when the person who is engaging in casual sex wants it, and when they find a partner their either find attractive or are willing to do it with. Whereas for prostitution, it's a profession. The person doesn't have a choice, because they are depending on it to support themselves. Being able to turn down certain customers may sound like a privilege, but in reality, I'm sure that prostitutes have a very high tolerance, and don't exactly look forward to engaging in physical activity with every single customer, but do it anyway because it's their job. I don't know too much about the sex industry, but I feel like there is a quota that have to fulfill daily in order to make a living.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.