The moral issues
that arise in the readings each decide to focus on particular narratives of
comfort women. Based on the selected
readings, it seems that peoples’ desires differ when it comes to what action should be taken. Some want the truth about what happened to be
spoken. Some people want an apology or
compensation. Some want action taken to
prevent further cases. Some want
countries to be introspective about the flaws in their own system instead of
blaming Japan for its wrongdoings.
This
is an issue of the past and the present in that similar exploitation of women are happening in different countries, so I am inclined to agree with the
idea that the informative element is very important.
Unveiling the truth and understanding it fully would help prevent future instances similar to this one, and can work toward better global treatment of women. I think that information should be
encouraged, in addition to a general public acknowledgement about the wrongness
of this practice and affirmation that this will not happen again.
However, I think
that specific information should not be revealed unless the women involved are
comfortable discussing it. It is not the
women’s obligation to discuss their experience.
Forcing them to relive the past would be depriving them of their right
to move on in their own way. Tsutomu
notes that people lied about their experience because they felt pressured to. The women who endured this should be the
respected. Sunde wanted her story to be
known and wanted an apology from the government. She should get her apology. I do not believe that every woman wants an
individual apology. I also would not
believe every woman would like to discuss it.
I do not think we should prescribe what the former “Comfort Women” want
or need as a collective, but as individuals.
I may seem to contradict
myself when I say the truth is important, but the victims’ rights are important
as well. Which do we favor? I would say the victims’ rights are more
important than insensitively demanding the truth from them. Many women would be open to telling their
story, but if the women do not wish to relive it, their story is only
theirs. It is their choice if or when
they would like to tell it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.