Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sweatshops

I understand how the sweatshops could benefit an economy. My problem with sweatshops is the employment of children. When children are that young, they do not even know what they are missing out on, which is the most heartbreaking part about it. For example, the article by Raveena Aulakh, describes a girl who is content with her job working 12 hour days. She is completely oblivious that she is missing out on a normal childhood and an education. I think it is very manipulative that they employ children and it is not morally permissible. As children age, they have no choice to leave the sweatshop because they have no other skills or education for any other jobs. Similar to the ways that sex trafficking manipulates the girls that they want to go back; the sweatshop children develop the same ordeals. They feel as if it is home and safe because that is what they are accustomed too. A major problem I have with all of these scenarios are the lack of knowledgeable consent. I do not think working in a sweatshop is suitable conditions for anyone of any age, however I would think it was morally permissible if that person consented to it. The children are so young and cannot make a knowledgeable decision in whether to partake in these labor conditions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.