In Chapter 2 on Jon Stuart Mills
"Utilitarianism", he says that some objectors to his points may think
that life can do without happiness, and that it is not necessary at all. I
agree with the author's stance in this argument. I strongly believe that some of
the meaning of life revolves around individual and collective happiness.
In
addition to the author's points, I would add that happiness is important because
it serves as one of the many goals we have in life, to keep Life itself going.
While it is perfectly possible to live life without happiness, it defeats the
purpose of life itself because there is no obvious reason to be living, and we
would all be passing time away just because we were inexplicably brought into
this world. While happiness is not the answer to the meaning of life, it gives
us some purpose to continue to stay in it.
Happiness, I feel, because it
comes from within each individual, is an incentive or encouragement for each
individual to continue living and for some, to continue to want to contribute
to the world, so that Life does not ever come to an end. I would equate this to
human nature’s natural need to engage with and be attracted to the opposite sex
as it is largely because the world needs to continue to be populated.
Because of this, it is morally
the right thing to do to be happy or want to be happy. In the event that some
people physically cannot be happy (as a result of calamities and such) an
objector might say use this as evidence that happiness is not achievable by
everyone, therefore it cannot be a reason for life to continue. I, however feel
that, in this case, it is more life’s way of controlling the population and
serving as a reminder to some of the importance and privileges of being happy. To keep in line with utilitarianism, the
larger the number of people who are happy, the greater the good it does for
life.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.