Mental State theory says that good just depends on how you
feel, so murderers and rapists are good so long as they’re happy. I’m not
biting that bullet.
Narrative Flow theory is very
interesting but comes to the same problem as Equality theory— what’s a good
narrative flow? Who decides? If I have an experience machine and my wish is to
get on an experience machine while on the experience machine ad infinitum to
achieve an Inception-esque timeline where I live every life imaginable, but my
loved ones still miss me and hate me, then did I have Good narrative flow?
What’s Good?
Equality
theory states we should bring everyone to equal grounds. I’ve got a few
problems with this one: first the only way we’re all equal is if we’re all
dead, next there are people who like when everyone’s the same and others (me)
who don’t (where’s the fun in being a computer?) and last where’s the
good? What the hell does equality mean?
This theory doesn’t really seem to define good it just says we should be equal,
so unless this theory stands on a different theory of intrinsic good what’s
wrong with me saying we should all be dead? So let’s say that happiness is
what’s Good (Mill all the way) but only in as much as everyone is equally
happy. That’s nice, but some people are happy about other people’s pain. In
fact pain is inevitable in this life so this theories perfect world would be
made entirely of laugh-happy socio-paths. Finally for anyone who really
believes in equality, I see revolutionaries or hypocrisy.
Well-being
theories just fall short for me. What’s well-being? It can’t be what’s good
since that’s a circular argument. Well there are a lot of things we can say go
into well-being like being healthy, educated and happy. I think the premise
we’re all moving towards is that we’re good. We need something more to retain
the good that’s talking right now so we need to stay healthy, happy and
informed. How do we know though? I’m going to go the other way. We’re not good—
or at least we’re not sure. That’s why we have to try so hard figuring out why
one theory of good is better than another. And for that matter what good is.
This is the moral relativism I’m attracted to. Every moral insight is worth
looking at. Everyone who’s ever put oneself or another thing in the category of
good is simply trying to balance their experience up until now. And we may be
getting closer but we don’t know what Good is as long as we’re asking the
question. The way I see it the only way we can be sure we know what’s good is
if we know questions are good.
More light illuminates ambiguity.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.