It seems
clear to me and to the author that when people talk about morality, they do so
as if it is objective. To show this, the
author brings up several examples of cultural practices which the reader will
almost certainly feel the need to criticize in order to then point out that it would
be impossible to criticize the practices without believing in some standard that
applies to people outside of culture. But
the author simply stops there, which to me does not show that morality is
objective, but simply that we feel as if it is.
I feel as
though if I were to continue asking “why?” to a person who believed he had the objectively
correct stance on a moral issue, there will always eventually be a point at
which the person would reply, “Because that’s what I feel is right!” It may be that I simply have not thought
about certain issues or am not well-read enough, but many debates at their
roots appear to me to be based on mere differences in opinion or how one feels
about a moral dilemma. (For example,
some debates have at their root the clash between utilitarianism and
deontology. I personally don’t really
see how one way of approaching morality can be said to be objectively better
than the other.)
Now such
small differences may not be an issue for the author because he seems to be
open to the possibility that there do not have to be objective truths that
exist “outside of humanity” and that morality may simply be a tool that is
useful for humans just to promote human welfare. However, to me and, I think to many others,
that sense of “objective” morality is not quite satisfying. When I disagree with someone’s belief about a
moral issue, I don’t do so simply because I think society would work better if
people subscribed to my belief. I do so
because certain actions that seem wrong or right to me appear to be so not only
on a human level, but also on a metaphysical one.
This is why
I feel that the author brushes away the potential role of religion in morality
too easily. Although I am not very
religious, religion and the moral truths that God could reveal appear to me the
only grounds on which I could claim that there exist absolute, objective moral
truths. Of course, just because I want a
religion to be “true” so that I can have this objective moral foundation does
not make it true or not true. But the
idea that an infallible, all-knowing being could impart moral truths and a
moral framework for humans to live a good life remains an appealing one to
me. Principles such as the duty to show
love to all, including your enemies, hold an objective moral goodness and truth
to me; but what kind of a moral framework besides religion could “objectively”
show that a person has a moral duty
to show love to everyone?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.