In part one of Metaethical
Issue, the author “(acquaints the reader) with some of the most influential
ethical perspectives from Western and Eastern philosophical and religious traditions”
(6). At first glance I was skeptical of much of the author’s arguments, especially
on the topic of cultural relativism and moral relativism, seeing that I at
first believed in such things. After keeping an open mind and exploring his thoughts
I now see the clarity and rationality in his position. However I completely
disagree with latter half of the argument that the author provides against
moral relativism. The author argues that for moral relativism to exist people
cannot criticize other cultures in the world. In turn, people cannot criticize
their own culture (16). The article objects this logical and portrays it as almost
absurd by referring to Martin Luther King Jr and Gandhi’s acts of successfully
of reforming their societal morality by first criticizing it.
I agree that for moral relativism to work all
societies must be tolerant and accepting of one another’s beliefs and morals.
However, when it comes to one’s own culture I believe that each individual has
the capacity to object to their societal morality while keeping moral
relativism relevant. I believe in the phrase “don’t judge a book by its cover.”
Therefore if one does not submerge themselves within the culture and traditions
of a society, then they should not be able to pass judgment on their morals. On
the other hand, if a person grew up in a community and truly understands the
societal morality of that community they have every right to criticize it if
the deem necessary. I believe that each person bears individual morality that
is shaped by their experiences in their society and what they personally view
as right and wrong. One’s individual morality may negate the moral norm at the
time, yet still differ from culture to culture supporting moral relativism.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.