Overall, I found the reading to be very interesting. I thought the author raised a lot of good questions and did his best to provide good responses to possible arguments against his cases. There was one piece of reasoning he used at the beginning of the writing during the hypothetical case that I found especially interesting that he did not develop on. In the hypothetical case that opens the chapter, you, as the character, wonder about "the luck of the draw" and how you just happen to be the child of these people so why should you care about them more? You could have been anyone's child. So what actual responsibility do you have to them, these people who you just happen to call your parents? The author calls it "an accident by nature"(Page 3). I wanted to make an attempt to weaken this argument. While I can concede that it is by chance that we are put with our family, I must say that this random bond binds us to our parents and other family members. It was a random bond but we are stuck with it and we do owe our parent something if they sacrifice a lot for us to raise us. We grow up with these people and form a bond with them that makes us feel a lot closer to them and we feel we do owe them something. You have a lot more of a bond and connection with these people than those who live halfway across the world or country that we are expected to help. I do not believe that we should not help these other people, but I think, when it comes to important matters we should help those with a closer bond as well. The severity of suffering is important, but I feel we must help those who are close to us first.
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
Helping those close to us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.