Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Equality

Mill’s main argument throughout “Utilitarianism” is how to promote well-being. I think the most defensible theory is equality. However, it some cases it can also be the least defensible. I will touch upon this slightly since my peers covered this in their argument. An example where equality would not be the defensible is the Mother Theresa vs. Nazi Guard argument. Even though in Mill’s terms, they should both be treated equality it terms on well-being, the majority of people’s moral compasses would steer them towards Mother Theresa.

                On the defensible side-I think many people would agree about the importance of equality. Our generation especially is moving towards the side of equality in many aspects of our daily lives such as race, sexual orientation, and multiple other subjects which have been debated for years. I think if you think about it in a logical way, no one person is better than another. If I saw someone with which once would be considered “questionable values”, in danger, I would not hesitate to help them. I think it can be argued that this would be the least defensible for those who did not grow up in our generation; however, I can slowly even see that generation moving towards equality. I think equality is a very important factor of well-being. Not only in emergency situations, but the idea of being treated fairly and not being judged based off of predisposed quality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.