In
Singer's article Famine, Affluence
and Morality, he highlights
the idea that it is
morally ought that if we are capable of helping we should do so. Singer
mentions one of the main contributing factors to why people do not take
initiative in offering the less fortunate aide, can be related to the bystander
effect. The bystander effect refers to cases in which individuals do not offer any means of help to a
victim when other people are present. This bystander effect is seen within
society daily. Singer says “Should I
consider that
I am less obliged to pull the drowning child out of the pond if on looking around I
see other people, no further away than I am, who
have also noticed the child but are doing nothing? (233)". I agree that a majority
of people in society convince themselves that what they are or are not doing is
moral based on the people they surround themselves with.
I believe our country
places a high importance on individual rights. However, I think a majority of
the way people build their beliefs and morals are based upon friends and
family, rather than solely based on their own ideas. Singer’s argument can be separated
into two different ideas-the idea that people did not develop their own belief
system or the idea that if they know of people who are upholding moral duties, they
are less likely to themselves. These ideas can be slightly contradictory,
however can overlap also. I do not believe it is correct, however I understand
why people are under false pretenses that if so many people they know are
donating and upholding good moral standings, and one person cannot make a
difference. However, if everybody had those ideas, then nothing would ever
progress .
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.