I do not
think that Mill does a sufficient job in addressing the chief complaints and
misconceptions that surround utilitarianism. My primary objection with his
argument begins with his initial explanation of right and wrong in relation to
happiness. Mill says that, “actions are
right in proportion as they tend to promote happiness, wrong in proportion as
they tend to produce the reverse of happiness. By ‘happiness’ is meant pleasure and the
absence of pain; by ‘unhappiness’ is meant pain and the lack of pleasure”
[5]. Here, Mill seems to commit some
type of fallacy of definition because his definition of happiness is vague. Mill uses a negative definition, which is essentially
defining something by what it is not. His definition of happiness is dependent
on the absence of pain, suggesting that these two concepts are mutually
exclusive. Happiness and pain are not mutually
exclusive because you do not need to lack pain in order to experience
happiness. This false mutual exclusivity can be used to
falsify later claims. Mill later tries to differentiate between the different
kinds of happiness (pleasure) by arguing that “pleasures of the intellect, of
the feelings and imagination and of the moral sentiments a much higher value as
pleasures than to those of mere sensation” [5]. If this and Mill’s negative
definition of happiness is true, then the avoidance of intellectual pain is
more desirable than the avoidance of physical pain. I would definitely prefer to be insulted by
someone than punched. I think that it is
safe to assume that intellectual pain is preferred over physical pain. This
assumption is consistent with the age-old saying, “sticks and stone may break
my bones but names can never hurt me”. I
don’t think that he can argue that one pleasure is better than the other. I think that Mill needs to revisit his definition
of happiness to strengthen his argument and I think that he needs to come up
with more proof to support his assertion that intellectual pleasure is more
valuable than sensational pleasure.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.