Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Satisfied Desires

I think the most defensible formulation of Utilitarianism is that which defines "satisfied desires" as an intrinsic good. I reject the paternalistic objectivity of  the objective list theory because it seems impossible to create one list of things that lead to an objectively moral life for anyone in any situation. The task seems impossible. The positive mental state theory seemed convincing to me at first, but the businessman and simulation examples made me realize that this theory is ONLY concerned with mental states, and so someone who was deceived or deceived themselves into a state of happiness but actually led a life I would consider pretty awful would still be considered to be living a good life under this theory. That doesn't make the theory objectively untenable, but it sure convinced me. I think that morality begins where thought does, so the theories that rely on intrinsic goods outside human observation don't convince me. I think the satisfied desires theory of utilitarianism accounts for a variety of human circumstances, so it seems broad enough to account for everyone. It is grounded in reality (externalist) rather than being grounded in experience (internalist). I prefer the externalist to the internalist formulation because I think the way you interact with other people and the impact you make on their lives is an important part of ethics. The mere appearance of interaction won't do in comparison to actually making a meaningful impact on the world and, more importantly, the people around you. One notable objection to the satisfied desires theory is that it could lead to an evaluation that someone can have their desires satisfied without knowing it. How can it be a good measure of wellbeing if the person itself isn't aware of their desire being satisfied? This objection doesn't bother me overmuch as I believe the fact of the matter to be more important than one's perception of the matter. As for the goods other than wellbeing, I value equality up to the point where it impedes total wellbeing by 50%. I'll take narrative over nonnarrative if there's a choice, but I won't compromise either equality or total wellbeing for the sake of narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.