Tuesday, September 23, 2014

blog post 5

Kant says that actions should not be considered truly moral if they are not done purely out of duty.  If the person doing said action, feels any joy, then it is not moral.  I am afraid that this argument would suggest that nothing is truly moral then.  I can't think of any examples of an action done solely out of a sense of duty.  There is always some ulterior motive, no matter how small it may be.  Doing good things makes people feel good, and I don't believe that makes it any less of a moral thing.  Also, if someone is volunteering or doing good and they enjoy it, they will probably do a much better job than if they were simply doing it out of a sense of duty.  I don't think there is a good enough argument presented to suggest that there is no morality without a pure sense of duty.  In fact I would find it hard pressed to make an argument that says that a pure sense of duty even exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.