Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Religion and Morality

The author of “Metaethical Issues” falsely criticizes the connection between religion and morality. He starts off my explaining why law and morality do not coincide-which I agree with. Our government was created to keep order in our country. However, society does not look upon the government as a “high-power ruler”. Therefore, I agree with the author’s point that of questioning whether law is just or not (7). In order to guarantee that the country is just, laws must be created and destroyed as humanity progresses. However, religion is not synonymous with his argument about law. The author uses similar arguments when questioning whether a higher-power is just or not. However, there are so many different types of religions around the world and they are all viewed differently. However, a common theme upon religion is its followers believe their God is a just and all-knowing power.

 The author argues “is something good because God says it is or does God recognize what is good and communicates that to us (9)”. I believe he argues this by possibly being someone who is not that religious. People, whom do consider themselves religious, view God as being good, just and truthful and being the supreme power of morality. I believe the author’s points are quite bias and do not grasp the full understanding of how religion can sculpt people’s lives. Overall, I agree that morality should be questioned under proper circumstances such as the law. Morality is one’s individual values and thoughts. It is true that one should always decide on what these values should be and question them, but I do not think it is wrong if one decides to look to a higher power for the truth of morality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.