Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Blog 5

In the second section of Immanuel Kant’s Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals, the author explains that it is impossible that “the concepts of duty have to be drawn solely from experience” (4:407). When first reading this, I was a bit confused. I thought that as a person, we cannot just forget or let go of past experiences so they don’t affect us. In fact, some scientist believe every experience a person has gone through attributes greatly to their behavior and what they chose to do, much like a predictable linear regression model. Even if a person tries their hardest to let go of previous experiences, there is still lingering biases that not even that person can control. With that all being said, I thought that there is no way we can derive the meanings of duty without influencing them personally. However, after re-reading the text (several times) I became to realize that true moral duty is how Kant describes, easily conformable to do as humans. The author notes that in most cases it is “doubtful whether it is actually done from duty, thus (having) a moral worth” (4:406).

I soon realize that this is why in order to create a universal moral law, humans must create it from priori, or knowledge independent of experience.  Kant notes how every individual’s entire viewpoint on life is personalized and varies from one being to another. I anticipate that it is these inconsistencies and individualism that creates these personal biases in all of us, therefore making it seemingly impossible to create true moral duty. I believe all of this is why Kant wants us to derive moral codes and laws without those influences. Without these biases and experiences, moral code can now be applicable universally and as true moral duty without any outside influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.